Education minister Varsha Gaikwad kicked off Part I of the admission form-filling process on Saturday afternoon. “This year is different. We wanted to make sure children don’t have to step out of their homes for admission. Hence, we have given them three months to submit original documents, made available online grievance redressal and are setting up a mobile application,” she said.
Among the changes introduced this year, the “know your eligibility” feature will help students broaden their options. Once a student enters the marks, stream of choice and the quota they are applying under, the system will show a list of colleges where the cut-offs were similar to what the child has scored. CBSE and ICSE students will also be able to convert their marks through the portal instead of visiting guidance centres or schools, so that the entire process stays online.
While Part I of the formfilling began on Saturday, the education department is yet to announce a detailed schedule for the rest of the process. It usually begins a day after the announcement of the SSC results.
“Students must track the portal for further instructions. The mobile application will also be ready in a couple of days, so students can fill up forms even if they do not have a laptop or computer,” said an official.
This year, the education department has also stated that students applying under various quotas can upload their relevant documents online for admission.
In case students do not have the documents or are unable to upload them due to technical difficulties, they can give an undertaking stating they will submit the original documents at a later date. The student’s admission until then would remain provisional.
More than 2.5 lakh students apply for the online admission process for a seat at over 830 junior colleges in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. On offer this year are 3.2 lakh seats.
Last year, 2.2 lakh students took admission and one lakh seats remained vacant.